Between 2006 and 2013 I opened several new skitouring lines in the area of Mkinvartsveri (aka "Kazbek", 5054 m) in the Georgian Caucasus. In 2018 finally, a modern mountain hut opened that offers a suited base for repeating some of these lines in a guided program - the AltiHut. Based a 3014m, it offers a clean, environmentally-friendly and sustainable way to spend the night and rest.
This guided tour takes aims at skiing on Mkinvartsveri and Maili-Khok (4600m), skiing along what is called the “Road of Dreams”. We chose a late period in the season, to have more stable weather and the snow stability required for routes away from the standard routes. I have had the most successful ski week in the area during this time period.
This is an exlusive trip for strong, experienced ski tourers, with a maximum of 2 guests.
- Day 1 (May 25): Meet in Stepantsminda, check gear, rest, eat local food. Stay in a local, simple but clean guest house.
- Day 2: Hike up to Altihut (2200m - 3104m). Horses will help to carry luggage. We may have to carry skis a bit.
- Day 3: Skitour around the hut to acclimatize
- Day 4: Ascent to a high camp at 4000m and some skiing around camp. Stay in tents.
- Day 5: Ski ascent of Maili-Khok (4600m), travel with skis along the “road of dreams”, with stunning views to Mkinvartsveri. Generally mellow terrain, but the summit ridge may require short-roping. Very few people have skied this summit! Back to the tents.
- Day 6: Attempt Mkinvartveri (5047m) summit. Ski descent via the south flank if conditions allow.
- Day 7: Spare day of more skiing.
- Day 8: Descent (or more skiing)
Note that the program is subject to changes depending on weather.
Program costs: 2050 EUR/person. This includes guides, transport from/to Tbilisi, accommodation in Stepantsminda, Altihut and tents, use of tents, all meals.
Gear list will follow upon expressing interest. For booking or more information please >> contact me